Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving & the day after.

Our family Thanksgiving dinner celebration was a huge success. Everyone complemented us on how nice the “basement” looked. Actually it’s hard to refer it as a basement now. I think I much prefer calling it “The Great Room” seeing as it is the largest room in our home.
DSC_0007



Sorry the glass “ice bucket” was in the way, but here I am under intense pressure to carve the first of two Turkeys. Judy, my sister in the background making the gravy. 







One turkey was cooked in the oven in the kitchen, while the other was cooked in the 18qt. electric roaster. The one in the oven was inside one of those “cooking bags” and we thought would not take as long before it was done. However the electric roaster surprised us and it actually cooked the turkey quicker and the bird had a much better “browning” layer on the outside. So I much prefer the electric roaster over our old method in the oven.

Here are a few pictures to introduce you  to my family.
DSC_0017



My Dad. The first holiday without Mom. Even though she wasn’t here we felt her presence. She always enjoyed the Thanksgiving dinners with her family.





DSC_0018




Ken, my brother and his wife Margie.
The pictures on the wall are of my parents on the right and a hand painting of Wilma’s parents.







DSC_0027







Judy (far left) my sister talking to my youngest sister Catherine, with Catherine’s husband Scott.











DSC_0020




My two daughters, Angel (left) and Tina with Carol a friend of the family.








DSC_0023




After a wonderful and moving prayer was said by Scott, the grandkids started the serving line as “Great Grandpa” looked on.








Our Great Room was perfect for this occasion, as the adults were seated together at one long table on one side of the room and the younger kids were at their own table on the other side of the room.  The kids had plenty of room afterward to play together with the toys they brought.

Brooke had the great suggestion of everyone, one at a time, say what they are thankful for. This was a great idea and everyone expressed their feelings on what they were thankful for. A serious moment for each of us to express ourselves. My Dad was last. He expressed how he was thankful for his 4 children, 5 grandkids, and 8 great grandkids. Then he added….”and I’m thankful I’m NOT a Turkey!” This bought on laughter and the family was back to having a great time.

Soon with the help of all, the Great Room was cleaned and the dishes done. All the family left and Wilma and I sat outside on the deck with a fire burning in our Chimnea.We reflected on the day and both felt great that we had accomplished all the work we did in preparation for today.

From Wilma and I to all of our readers, we extend our wishes that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

For those who have loved ones who are no longer with you hear on Earth, click on this link http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/  Then sit back, relax, enjoy the music along with the readings. It's pretty moving.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the introduction to your family. Everybody looks so happy. We used to have many family gatherings too but now everybody lives too far away. Your "Great Room" looks very nice from the bits and pieces I can see. I really had to laugh about your Dad and his being thankful not to be a turkey. That was too funny.

    ReplyDelete