Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Angels Surprise Birthday Party

Saturday night was the date set for Angels “Surprise” Birthday party. And I have to say it went perfect.

Wilma and I had first started planning on giving Angel this surprise party a couple months ago. When we had the date set, Wilma went to work notifying all those who would be in attendance.

She also planned on what the theme would be, how much food and snacks would be available, and just about everything else associated with making this party a huge success. All I had to do was pick Angel up at a given time and make up a story to get her to go into the basement. Actually, my job was the very easiest!

The guests started arriving around 6:15, I was supposed to pick Angel up at 6:50pm. But I didn’t get to her place until almost 7pm on purpose.

After picking Angel up at her home, my fib, I mean my story begins.

“Angel, we are running a little late, Mom is still at home getting ready, and you know how I am about being late! Especially when I have reservations already made”. (Wilma told her we were taking her out to a very fancy place where we will have dinner and entertainment, nothing more.)

As I turned down my street, cars lined the street on both sides. So not letting Angels’ mind work and her guess, I said, “Looks like one of the neighbors is having a party or something, must be one of these two neighbors”, as I pointed to their homes where their porch lights were on. Perfect I thought, the neighbors homes were lit up like a Christmas tree. They really did look like they both were expecting company. Angel never thought different. At least if she did, she didn’t say anything.

As we pulled into the drive my story continued:

“Angel, you might as well come in the house, I don’t know how much longer your Mom is going to take getting ready, and I have to change into my leather dress shoes.” (I had on a new pair of tennis shoes). 

As she followed me to the house and I opened the door, my story continued:

“Angel, would you do me a favor and run downstairs to turn off the clothes dryer while I run upstairs to get Mom and my shoes.” I didn’t look back at her for fear of giving it away, I had her just a few steps from being surprised.

I headed around the corner of the room, and I could hear Angels footsteps going down the basement stairs. I thought to myself, she is such a sweet kid. Never in her life has she ever questioned a favor I have asked of her, she just does it!

DSC_0003

So a few seconds later…..basement lights were turned on…..and everyone yelled out, SURPRISE!!!

We think she went into a shock because she said she didn’t remember hearing everyone yell SURPRISE. But from the look on her face, she did, just couldn’t recall it. ha ha ha.

The party commences. What an assortment of friends were there to help celebrate her Birthday. There were friends of Wilma and mine that Angel grew up knowing. There were friends from when she was in school. There were even some fellow workers that she knew from past jobs.

DSC_0021

 

The party lasted about 5 hours. Everyone had a great time, especially Angel!

 

 

DSC_0019

Wilma, with the help of our friends, made sure there was plenty to eat and snack on.

I don’t believe anyone went home hungry, I know I ate way too much!

 DSC_0062It was fun for all of us, watching Angel open her gifts. And she did get an assortment of gifts, from “gag” gifts to “great” gifts.

While she was opening her gifts, she commented how she remembered when she was watching her Mom open her gifts at her 40th, Birthday party. Now she is the one having the 40th. Birthday party and opening gifts. Wow how weird this makes me feel was her exact words.

DSC_0097

It was a little bit stressful these past weeks, keeping this from you and hoping we would not give it away. All in all, it was worth every bit of the stress to make this happen.

I hope we all made your Birthday Party one to remember.

HAPPY 40TH. BIRTHDAY, ANGEL! WE ALL LOVE YA!

 

Until next time, be safe and God Bless

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Nice to see so many people could keep a secret. Happy Birthday, Angel ☺

    ReplyDelete