Monday, May 10, 2010

KaBoom in the Night!

Wilma and I had an exciting event last night. No…not what your thinking! 

This happened at 1:30am. Both asleep in dreamland and all of a sudden KaBoom! One side of the box spring fell off the bed frame! Wilma said she had a dream of the floor falling out from under us, I felt like I was rolling down a mountain side, grabbing for tree limbs or sky hooks!

It wasn’t too hard for Wilma to get out of the bed, as it was leaning down on her side. She was actually about a foot closer to the floor. But me, now that was a different matter.

Picture this if you may. My young manly body of 60 and 225lbs. Beer gut, even though I don’t drink beer. Trying to roll “uphill” to get out of my side of the bed. I’m grabbing for tree branches or sky hooks as I’m feeling like I’m rolling down the mountain side. Then I wake up, still grabbing for those invisible tree branches, and trying to pull this so out of shape body, UPHILL out of the bed. If we had a movie of it I just know we could have won $10,000 for winning the funniest video on America’s Funniest Video’s show!

We both stood there looking at the bed when we finally came to our senses.

Now, what to do about this at 1:30am? Pulling back the sheet and blankets, I removed the top mattress to one side of the room. The box spring mattress was wedged half on the bed rail and the other side on the floor underneath the bed rail. It took some grunting and straining, but I managed to free the box spring mattress and reposition it back in the bed frame.

I could see the side rail bowed out a little between the foot board and head board. But I figured if positioned just right we might make it through the night.

My idea worked and we both survived the event with only missing a couple hours sleep.

So today my goal was to permanently fix the bed rail. I went to Lowes, (because I get a 10% discount for being a vet) to purchase 2 eye bolts with fender washers, 2 cable clamps, a turn buckle, and 5 feet of cable.  It was installed between the bed rails so that when the turnbuckle was tightened, the bed rails were pulled closer together in the middle. It worked perfectly!

Getting the box spring mattress back on the bed rails revealed that I now had both bed rails perfectly straight and snug to the mattress. No way can the box spring mattress fall ever again.

DSC_0003

Sorry, but I didn’t take a  picture of the cable installation prior to putting the mattresses back on.

This is a shot  of the cable underneath the box spring mattress  stretching from one side of the bed frame to the other. 

DSC_0001

This shows the eye bolt coming through the side rails of the bed. And of course I drilled the hole from the inside to the outside, that’s why a chip of wood broke off and now shows next to the fender washer, bolt and nut.

 

But all is well now and Wilma and I look forward to a good night sleep. Now if we can just get through the night without any dreams of falling off of mountains or the floor dropping out from under us!

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. We have taken the plunge before too, now we have the pedestal with drawers from a water bed and a pillowtop mattress in it, It will never fall unless the floor under the bed gives way. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete