Saturday, June 5, 2010

Another set back for Brother Ken

It's been a week since the last blog entry, only because there has not been alot of things going on with us.

I did manage to get the oil and oil filter changed in the motor home. Also while draining the oil in the generator I noticed that it looked brand new. So I didn't bother changing the filter. Checking the hours since last oil change shows I only put a few hours on the new oil. I really need to start running it on a monthly basis. I guess it's better to run a generator once in a while, than to let it just sit.

My sister Catherine should be moving into their "new to them" home in the next week or so. They have been getting it in tip top shape before they move in. I can't wait to see how nice it's going to be after they move in.

My brother Ken had a major set back with his eye. Seems his retina tore again requiring more surgery. I asked him how that happened as he was told the last surgery was a success. Seems that the area of the incision creates a scar. As this scar heals, it shrinks causing tightness of the retina. This in turn caused it to tear again. Last Thursday at 12:30pm he went into surgery for the third time. We were told it was another successful surgery. So now once again we put our faith in God that He will heal my brother and things will return to normal for him and his family. Good luck my brother, our prayers are with you every day.

I have also contacted my electrician friend at work to do a job for me. I'm going to have the extra electric meter removed and everything tied into the main meter. Detroit Edison says that by installing this "special" meter for your AC, it will save you money. Well you have to do the math people! Which after about 7 years I finally did. Nothing like putting off a simple job huh?! Anyway the way the program works, you save 1 penny per KWH compared to the normal rate. So the minute you turn on the AC, the meter starts moving. This causes the "unmentioned" monthly service charge for the meter! And what is that amount you ask? Try $2.50 per month. So I estimated it would take me about 15 days of use per month to save $2.50. Then for the next 15 days that month you will save a whopping $2.50. And for this service the meter is controlled with a radio frequency where they (Detroit Edison), can shut down your AC anytime they wish. Which we all know is on the hottest part of the days when the load is the most. To beat all, it only shuts down the compressor and condenser fan, NOT the furnace blower. So the humidity that had been pulled out of the air will now be returned to the conditioned space because the compressor is not running! So you can figure it will cost MORE to have this meter installed than if you didn't. Why O Why didn't I do the math so many years ago!
My electrician buddy was supposed to come out sometime this weekend to remove the meter but he called and asked if he could do it during the week. Wednesday was the day agreed upon, weather permitting. Keeping my fingers crossed the weather won't be a problem.

Tomorrow is yard work day. I'm in need of a walkway between the drive and the deck. The area it covers, the motorhome has to drive over getting it out of the yard. So it has been a struggle finding a material that would hold up to driving on. I tried just gravel but we both decided that we didn't care for the look after a few years. So on to plan B. I'll post an update about it in the future.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about your brothers ongoing eye problems. We will keep him in our thoughts/prayers. Have you thought about putting down a couple of strips of interlocking brick pathways for the wheels of the MH to drive on, with grass in between? A friend did this with the 2 interlock brick 'paths' framed around their outsides with 4 inches of cement. Looks great, takes the weight of his truck/trailer. However, a MH can be mighty heavy!

    ReplyDelete