Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our Mackinaw Vacation

We arrived at Mackinaw Mill Creek RV Resort around noon on July 2nd. Didn’t do much after setting up but sit and relax after the 5 hour trip. Of course we had to stop at the famous Crackle Barrel restaurant on our way there.


We asked in our online reservation last January for a site where we could see the Mackinaw Bridge and Mackinaw Island.

Wilma was up bright and early to capture the Sunrise from our campsite.



We were pleased with our site with a perfect view, abit a little tight between sites. The neighbor on our patio side was from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. A great couple with 2 teen age kids that were well behaved. Actually we didn’t have any problems with any of our neighbors, as they all were very considerate of their neighbors.

The next day, July 3rd, and Wilma’s Birthday, we decided to go to the Island and do our bike ride around the entire Island. It’s a well maintained black top, two lane road that encompasses a total of 8 miles from start to finish. As many times as we have been to the Island, this was going to be our first bike ride.








A heart shaped cave on the North side of the Island.

We packed a small lunch with 4 bottles of water and some fruit and sandwich that we planned on eating at the half way point. Perfect timing as there were a few picnic tables set up just for that reason.


We walked up main street after the bike ride, taking in the sites. We, or should I say Wilma noticed the price of the fudge was more expensive than on the main land in Mackinaw City, so we didn’t buy any fudge on the Island. Call us cheap, but we like to think “thrifty”.



We sat on the very top deck of the Star Line Ferry Boat. The Star Line Ferry is known for it's large Rooster Tail. It gives you the impression that you are on the “fastest” of the three ferry companies. This was proven wrong though as we were passed by the Catamaran from The Arnold Ferry Company. Here you can see the top of the rooster tail from the top deck of the boat.



At the end of a perfect day, Wilma captured a perfect Sunset from our campsite.



The next day, July 4th. we window shopped in Mackinaw City and bought our Fudge for family and friends. Checked out the beach at the RV Resort but decided it was just too hot for us to go to the beach. We would be French fried within minutes!


So we decided to set up our lawn chairs for our fireworks viewing later that evening. Mackinaw City put on a terrific fire works show, and from our view point we could see St. Ignace and Mackinaw Island fireworks also. So everyone at the RV Park felt they had the “perfect” seats for the fireworks show.


The next day, July 5th, we roamed around Mackinaw City and around the base of the Bridge. The weather was hot and humid, so humid at times there was cloud cover on the Bridge.



Here is the Underside of the Bridge looking North. The fog had gotten so thick that we could hear the freighters blowing their fog horns. Even the Ferry’s to and from the Island were blowing their horns.



You can just see the top of the pillars of the Bridge just above the cloud layer in this picture.




July 6th. we took a trip to Alanson, MI. to visit with my sister Catherine and her husband Scott.

We sat on the shore of Burt Lake which they have access to.




Wilma took this shot of us walking back to their home. And a beautiful home it is indeed!




July 7th. we woke up to more fog. This time it was so thick we couldn’t even see the lake. As this was our day to leave the RV Park, I just had to take the opportunity to kid with Wilma a little. I asked her if she would like to take a drive across the Bridge to St. Ignace today?  ;-)   Of course you know her answer….NO WAY! ! !   She just hates bridges.


So we headed for Denny and Kathy’s home in St. Helen where we had made arrangements with them to stay a couple days. What fun we all had. First starting out with a Pontoon Boat ride on Lake St. Helen, where Denny pointed out the three lakes that form one. They also pointed out to us, two Bald Eagle nests in different trees around the Lake. What a great time we all had.


We enjoyed sitting on their covered porch listening to the peace and quiet of the country. No sirens, no trains, no traffic! You gotta love it. Denny also made a lamp out of tree limbs! When finished he gave it to Wilma to put in her family room. What a great surprise! Thanks Denny!



Our last evening we bought the steaks and Denny did the grilling. A delicious meal was prepared by Kathy and Wilma and we all enjoyed it. Afterward we played a game of “Mexican Train”. What a great, fun, game. I just know we are going to buy the game so we can enjoy it with our other friends.


We arrived safe and sound around 4pm on July 9th. We had a terrific time and had terrific weather!

So until next time, be safe and God Bless.


  1. I just can't figure out why the pictures are in different positions than when I produce the article in Windows Live Writer. If anyone can inform me Please do. Thanks.

  2. I liked the pic's like that! Looks like you had a great trip and mostly good weather! Safe travels.

  3. Beautiful pics, Dad. I just love reading your blog. I'm so thrilled that you and Mom get to take these wonderful vacations together. You have worked so hard and deserve it. Thanks for sharing the experiences with us. Love you both dearly, and congratulations on 40 years of marriage.