Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Very Sad Day For Angel And Brooke

Wilma and I started our morning going to Meijer's to see what was left over from the Black Friday sales. To our surprise the store was pretty empty for a Saturday morning. I guess all those who were planning on going shopping did it on Friday. Not Wilma and I as she has first hand at how hectic it is on Black Friday.

We did manage to buy a few strings of LED lights for the tree. I figure they should probably outlast me!

When we arrived back home, I started working on putting up the outdoor lights. Wilma got a phone call from Angel telling her what a bad night they had in their new Condo.

HPIM0510Cooter, Angel and Brooke’s pet dog, kept them up most of the night whimpering and howling.  He usually sleeps in bed with Angel and the pain from the tumors was to great for him to  go up the stairs to the bedroom. At 1:00AM Angel decided to head for the couch to be with him. Even then he kept whimpering. Angel knew it was getting to the point that she would have to have Cooter put down, but was dreading the pain that she and Brooke would have of loosing their best buddy Cooter.

During the morning, Angel and Brooke made a Wal-Mart run. Upon returning, her neighbor spoke to Angel telling her that she would not be turning her in, but Cooter howled all the while she was gone. Angel knew it wasn’t just a “new home scared” howl, but an added pain howl. Buy the early afternoon Cooter was having trouble standing on his hind feet, Angel made a phone call to Wilma and I asking what Vet we dealt with. I mentioned that Vet’s are too expensive to have an animal put down and that she should try calling the Humane Society. She contacted them while we were on our way over to help her with Cooter. By the time we arrived, Angel had finished speaking with them and making the arrangements to have Cooter put down. I knew I would be the one to take him, as Wilma tried to console both Angel and Brooke.

Cooter made the trip there laying on the back seat of the Buick, whimpering all the way there. I kept talking to him, trying to calm him down as I drove. All in all he did ok, considering the pain he was in.

Arriving at the Humane Society, I filled out the paperwork. Had to phone Angel for her drivers license number for their records, as one of the ladies put a leash on Cooter. I asked if we could have his collar and leash as my grand daughter wanted it. Of course was their answer.

Cooter then tried to stand with the ladies help, he walked over and sat next to where I was, looked up at me and whimpered again. I petted his head, told him to have a good trip and that it would be ok. Upon saying that, it was like he understood every word I said, which I know he couldn’t, he struggled to his feet and followed the lady to another room in full co-operation.

What a great dog he was, right to the end.  Good Bye Cooter, you are so missed already!

 

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry very sorry to hear about Cooter. It is always hard to let go of our four legged kids even when we know that it's whats best.

    Travel Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that. Brings back memories of a great dog I had when I was a kid. I had to do the same thing. Broke my heart and I had dreams of him coming back for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry to hear of the loss of a great dog. It is so hard, even when you know that it is the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tough job, but so good that you could do it and spare everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

    Angel was really touched when she read your comments. She and Brooke had a rough night last night without Cooter.

    Time will heal the hurt and emptiness both Angel and Brooke are now feeling.

    Thank you again everyone.

    ReplyDelete