Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Humidifier and MORE Snow!

Tuesday – Humidifier.

Yesterday was dedicated to replacing Angel’s old Montgomery Wards humidifier. We thought I might have salvaged it the other day, but Angel said she turned off the water to it because the drum wouldn’t turn any more.

So yesterday morning I was off to Home Depot to purchase a new Honeywell humidifier for her. I like doing business with Home Depot and Lowes as they both give a 10% discount to Vets! You just have to show your veteran ID Card.

I was at Angel’s home around 10am to start with the new installation of the humidifier. Removing the old one was a snap. Just a little sheet metal trim and the new one was installed on her furnace. I had to go to ACE hardware to purchase about 2 ft. of 1/4 inch soft copper for the water line. To my surprise the bulk rate was $2.59 per foot. I kept looking and they had a kit for hooking up an ice maker for $21.95. It included 16 ft. of tubing, a compression coupling, (which I needed) and a line piercing valve. So with my simple math going in high gear, the ice maker kit was purchased. Smile By the time Angel returned home from work around 4pm, the job was completed. That’s including a trip back home for lunch.

It started snowing quite hard around 5pm. Weather reports saying we should get between 3 and 5 inches of snow by tomorrow.

Wednesday – Snow.

My built in alarm went off this morning at 5am. Got up, got the coffee going, and went outside to shovel the walkway to the patio door, where Angel and Brooke should be arriving within an hour.

100_0814

100_0815

It’s a little hard to tell, but my tape rule shows about 4 and 1/2 inches of new snow. Sad smile 

Going back to the 1960’s, the saying on Michigan license plates was “Water-Winter Wonderland”. I have just realized what the “Winter” part of it really meant. It means I “wonder” what the heck I’m still here in Michigan for in the winter!

I guess it could have been worse and have been heavy slushy snow, or I could be living in the New England states and be hit with their 14 inches of snow. The snow was really light and fluffy, so it was no problem at all shoveling the little I did. When it became later in the morning I got out the snow blower and cleared my drive and side walks along with my neighbors’. I’m sure they will appreciate that.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

5 comments:

  1. Diodn't know that Home Depot & Lowes gave a discount to vets... and what is a veterans ID card? Try to stay warm in all that snow... Have a good one & travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank's for the info on the discount this old vet has a Veterans Administration card hope that will work.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was discharged from the US Navy, back in Oct. 1972, I was issued a new Military ID card. I guess because I still had 2 more years as "inactive duty" to serve. The card is white with pink writing.
    But I guess any proof of service will do, such as a copy of the DD214.
    They hardly take a glance at the card when I ask for the discount. The cashiers just take 10% off the bill.
    Thank you very much Home Depot and Lowes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be an antique if came from monkey wards!

    ReplyDelete