Monday, February 21, 2011

More Snow! Bathroom almost done.

Yesterday I put the first coat of paint on the bathroom walls and ceiling. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Well…before I could do that it took me 2 days to prep the walls and ceiling! Let me explain that.

A few years ago Wilma purchased some paint from Home Depot and proceeded to paint one of the bathrooms. We both agreed that she did a wonderful job and seeing as there was enough paint left over, why not do the other bathroom. So a few days later she painted the second bathroom.

Now fast forward a few months. The paint started to crack! All over the walls and ceiling. It looked like that “Special” paint you can buy that will crackle when it dries, giving it an “old time” look. But this paint wasn’t that kind. We watched as one bathroom crackled, then the other bathroom crackled. Crying face 

You can see the “crackle” effect on the wall. 100_0846

The lower bathroom she decorated in an old “out house” theme. So the crackle walls seemed to work. But upstairs it was really looking bad.

What to do now? I just knew deep down that the new paint, even being thick, wouldn’t fill in all those cracks. But I tried over the door on the wall. Nope, you could see the crackle affect through the new paint. So the only thing left for me to do was fill all the crackle cracks. Using drywall “mud” I had to put a thin coat on every square inch of drywall. Ceiling and walls. My arms still hurt from that job! Next came the sponge wet sanding. That took at least 2 hours, but everything came out looking pretty good. Re-coup for the rest of that day.

Yesterday the first coat of paint was applied. Looked great, no more “crackle” effect. Did you ever notice that it doesn’t matter how much you pay for paint, it never covers in just one coat? When Wilma and I went to Home Depot to purchase the paint for the bathroom, we didn’t want a repeat of the last time. So we purchased their “top of the line” paint. At $35.00 per gallon it better be great paint!

Yesterday afternoon came the snow. It started around 3pm, a real fine snow. I didn’t think much of it as I was watching NASCAR at Daytona. What a great race! By the end of the race, I looked outside and the ground was covered, and the snow was still falling. Around 8pm I got the video camera out and took a video of our deck. We had already received 5 inches with a prediction of anywhere between 8 and 12 inches by morning.

An inch per hour fell until we had a total of 12 inches!

First thing this morning I was out clearing all the fresh snow, all 12 inches of it! I also took care of my neighbors by doing their sidewalks and drives. I know they really appreciate it.

Taking a break now, then on to the second coat of paint in the bathroom. Pictures to follow.

PS: This is the first time I’ve tried a video on my blog. Don’t know if it will work or not, seemed to take a long time to upload. We will see. Send me a comment what you think. Should I keep video or not?

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old paint must have been oil-based, and then the new latex paint made it crackle. Some people pay a lot for crackle paint!!
    If re-painting, latex over oil-based will not hold unless you lightly sand and use a latex primer first.

    Tip: If you are unsure which type paint you have, wash wall, let dry and wipe with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. If paint comes off, it's latex.

    Your snow is pretty, but no thank you, we don't want it down here.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete