Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Two Dr.’s and an MRI…oh my!

What a busy day yesterday was!

My back pain was to the point that I just had to do something and FAST. Called the Chiropractor, got an appointment for 9:30am. Called my Dr. and got an appointment for 1:30pm.

Arriving at the Chiropractor with the news that my back was feeling worse than ever concerned him quite a bit. He wouldn’t even try to adjust me again. I told him I had an appointment with my regular Dr. which he said was a wise thing to do. He gave me the last set of X-Rays he took last week so my Dr. could take a look if needed.

By the afternoon I was in so much pain that when Wilma said she was going to drive me to the Dr.’s I didn’t even argue.

On the way there it hurt just going around corners and the jar from the chuck holes made me even flinch! This is scary as I have never had a pain like this in my back before, and I’ve had plenty of problems with my back in the past.

After an exam from my Dr. he ordered an MRI “stat”. He suspected possibly kidney stones. I was to go have it done and stay there until told what to do next. So off to the MRI location about a mile away we went.

Within 2 hours the report came back to my Dr. He told them to tell me to go home and he would contact me later. So I figured that his hunch of possible Kidney stones was no longer a threat.

Home we went and I sat quietly in the recliner, trying not to move, as each movement, especially leaning forward caused me severe pain. On a scale of 1 to 10 I guess I’d say about an 8. The reason I can’t say 10 is because at the Dr.’s office, when I was first checked out by the nurse, she asked me what pain level I was at on a scale of 1 to 10. I said 10! She looked over at Wilma, (as she wanted to accompany me to hear what the Dr.’s prognosis would be) smiled and said,”You do know that a 10 is child birth pain”.  They both got a chuckle out of that, even under the pain, I had to laugh, but darn it I was hurting and hurting bad! Crying face 

Now back at home, I sat in that recliner for at least 2 hours waiting for the Dr. to call.

The call came and the Dr. told me there were no signs of Kidney stones or other abnormalities. That he suspects a pulled, maybe badly strained muscle. He prescribed 3 meds for me to take.

  • Orphenadrine ER 100mg. Take 1 tablet, twice a day.
  • Naproxen 500mg, Take 1 tablet, twice a day.
  • Hydrocodon-Acetaminoph 7.5-750. Take 1 tablet every 6 hours as needed.

All I know about these are that one is an muscle relaxer, one is an anti-inflammatory, and one is for pain. I guess the last one to take ever 6 hours is for the pain.

After taking the meds, it took about an hour and WOW, NO MORE PAIN! Open-mouthed smile It’s the best I’ve felt for 3 full weeks now!

Now comes the kicker. We are planning on leaving Thursday morning for a trip to S. Carolina. We have been planning this trip since the beginning of Winter, and are really are looking forward to it. Do we go or cancel???  I do not notice any fatigue with the meds, so I told Wilma, “Let’s go”. She is a little hesitant though. What to do, what to do, what to do?!

Wilma has “ordered” me to stay relaxed doing absolutely nothing today. Let the drugs do their thing. Tomorrow we will be able to tell for sure. I re-assured her that there are enough drugs for 15 days. We would be back home before the drugs were gone, and if I am still in pain on returning home, then I’d go back to the Dr. for further tests.

So for today, I am confined to the recliner, couch, or bed! Sad smile Hopefully by this evening, or tomorrow morning at the latest I’ll feel like a million $$$ and finish getting ready to go on our trip.

Keep your fingers crossed, and say a prayer for me if you will.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

4 comments:

  1. Stay on the mend, aren't drugs wonderful :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know back pain sucks. Take your meds and stay off your feet. Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow but remember not to over do then either. These things take time.

    Travel Safe
    Dawn and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you keep feeling well and can go on your trip. It is awful to be looking forward to something and then see it turn to dust.I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to love those pain pills, good luck!

    ReplyDelete