Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pumpkin Pie? Nope!

After cutting the grass this morning, I was just sitting down on the deck for a breather when a familiar face drove up. It was a fellow co-worker from General Dynamics, Bob K. I invited him up to have a sit on the deck. He said he was just passing through on his way to his daughters home a couple blocks away.

About 2 hours later he decided he better get to his daughters home as he told his wife he would be home by 12:30PM. It was now 12:45PM. Looks like your late Bob! During the conversations he did mention that he was retiring at the end of the month. Congrats Bob! Your going to really enjoy your new life. We bid farewell and he said he would return in a month and we would go visit a couple other co-workers. Sounds like fun and a plan!Thumbs up

Afterward I decided I would go to the store to buy a few items while Wilma did some housework. Looking at the kitchen counter at the Butternut Squash, and the recipe beside them for a Butternut Squash Pie, I decided I would purchase the ingredients and see if I could make this pie. Charlotte made one when we were at their home in Kentucky last month. Was it ever good! It kind of looked like a pumpkin pie, tasted like a pumpkin pie, but it wasn’t a pumpkin pie. Sarcastic smileIt was just plain good!

When I returned home I started getting the ingredients together.

100_1224

Doesn’t look like much, I should be able to do this I thought. So I started with the large Butternut Squash in the picture. I actually had enough with just that one Squash to make 2 pies, so that’s what I ended up doing.

 

 

100_1225

 

The pies just before going into the oven for 50 minutes.

 

 

100_1228

 

Here is the result.

 

 

Yep it kind of looks like a Pumpkin Pie. Smells like a Pumpkin Pie, taste’s like Pumpkin Pie. But No. It’s not Pumpkin Pie…it’s Butternut Squash Pie.

Here is the link to the recipe and reviews.

Remember that commercial on TV of the two little brothers. One not knowing if he would like something so he would give it to his kid brother and say, “Try it Mikey, you’ll like it!”  Well, this is one of those times. I think you will like it.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good... we do sweet potato pie so why not!!!
    Have fun
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Fred. All I need to do now is find some Butternut Squash and we'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete