Thursday, December 29, 2011

Troubling News

My sister Judy mentioned to me at our Christmas family gathering, that she was thinking of replacing her 11 year old Toyota with a new vehicle. She asked my opinion on how I liked my Malibu, and if I had any suggestions for her.

DSC_4583-001

She phoned me again yesterday telling me that she went to the Toyota dealer and test drove a new car. She asked me once again if I had any recommendations of other vehicles to test drive. We had a nice 45 minute talk and she felt that she had a much better understanding on the different makes and models to compare.

Just before lunch today I received a phone call with some troubling news from my Sister Judy. She told me that she went to the Buick dealer this morning to look at new cars. An appraiser took her 11 year old Toyota out for a test drive to get a better idea on how much they would allow her for a trade in. After a half hour or so a phone call came into the dealership from the appraiser. It seemed that he only drove the car a half mile and the engine quit. The salesman and Sister Judy drove to where the car had stopped. Of course Judy knows practically nothing about the mechanics of the vehicle other than the engine wouldn’t even turn over. They all suspected a dead battery, so they called a wrecker to come get the car. The car was taken to a local independent repair shop that our family has been doing business with for the past 15 years. “Mark” the owner of the repair shop did a quick inspection as the Toyota was being taken off the wrecker. There was a large puddle of oil on the bed of the wrecker under the Toyota. He noticed a large hole in the engine block! The salesman ended up taking Judy back to her home, and that’s when I received the panic stricken, very upset, troubling news from my Sister.

After talking to her, getting upset myself, I told her I was going to go talk to Mark. Possibly, from there go to the Buick dealership to talk to the management about their appraiser test driver. But after talking to Mark it was determined that the engine did indeed “blow a rod of piston” through the block. Could it have been caused from the test drive? Possibly, but proving that would be almost impossible. Mark said without actually getting any prices, he would guess that the cost to replace the engine with a used engine would be upwards of around $3000.00. That’s more than we both thought the car was worth. I thanked him for looking at it and told him we would be in touch tomorrow on what we are planning on doing with the car.

I left and went over to Judy’s home. Explained to her that her Toyota was a total loss, and that she needed to purchase another vehicle. She didn’t want to go back to the Buick dealership so I took her to the Chevrolet dealership. She test drove two vehicles. The first one being a sub compact, which model name escapes me. But after the drive I pointed out to her that the engine was made in Korea. Nope, we don’t want that. Talking to the salesman he suggested she take the Cruise out for a test drive. This vehicle was much better, and she even commented while driving it that she really liked that vehicle. Back at the dealership, we got the “out the door” price and bid farewell.

As we were on our way back to her home, I tried to calm her down a little. I told her that she has to look at “the other side of this coin.” It was almost a miracle that she wasn’t driving the Toyota on the free way when the engine blew. She could have lost control, and possibly been killed! God must have given you “His Guidance” that it was time to replace the Toyota. So instead of looking at the side of the coin that shows all the trouble that happened today, look at the side that shows you will be getting a brand new vehicle, and that your life may have been spared! She smiled, looked at me and said, “Thank you Fred, I didn’t think of that, and now I feel much better about this”.

Tomorrow morning at 9am I am going over to Judy’s, and possibly take her to the Ford dealership as she wants to go look at the Ford models. I believe she is interested in test driving the Focus and the Fusion. Afterwards I presume she will make up her mind as to which of the three makes of vehicles she may want to purchase, another Toyota, a Chevrolet, or a Ford. 

My prayer to God tonight will be for asking for His guidance for her tomorrow, relieve her of the troubles of today, and give her the joy and excitement of owning a new vehicle.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

3 comments:

  1. Wish I had a brother as helpful as you've been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying a new car can be intimidating...Sister Judy is blessed to have a brother willing to help her figure it all out! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were there for her!
    Happy New Year to you all!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete