Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Motorhome Roof Vent & Tires

The past few days I’ve been busy on replacing items on the Motorhome.

The Roof Power Vent failed us on our last trip to Florida. After getting prices from our local RV suppliers and internet searches, I was able to purchase the Vent Fan on line. Wow what a difference in prices between our local suppliers and those on the net! I would think our local suppliers would be the least expensive for this item, especially since the factory that makes them is just north of us about 70 miles. This is the model and brand that I purchased online.

100_2075

I’m not as slim as I once was, so this is how I get up on the roof of the Motorhome. That small built on ladder that you see on all RV’s just isn’t up to standards for me to climb up on and be comfortable.

I wish I had the same product that Winnebago uses to seal around roof openings on their products. My Coach is a ‘96 and it has the original sealant around all the openings, holding great!

100_2077

“Out with the old”. The fan is free and ready to be trashed. After cleaning thoroughly around the opening I was ready to install the new fan.

100_2078

Fan-Tastic Vent company now furnishes a closed cell foam gasket that goes between the fan and the roof. Where as the original was just silicone  and screwed down. The new one also gets screwed down and then the coating of roof sealant to finish the installation top side. I actually finished this job the next day allowing 24 hours for the sealant to completely cure.

Today was the day to have the tire fixed that has a slow leak in it. A couple Blog posts back tells about what happened to that tire.

Being a “truck” tire and wheel, there aren’t many places around that can work on these tires. I have done business with Leslie Tire Co. in the past and have had good luck with them, so they were my choice of who would get the chance to fix my tire.

I loaded the tire in the trunk of the car and headed for Leslie Tire. They have several tire outlet stores close by, but the one I needed was their Commercial Truck Tire store. I rolled the tire in to their store and within 10 minutes they were working on the tire. It’s just amazing watching these young men work on all these “huge semi tires”. No large air operated machines to remove these tires. All done by hand with large special tools. Those guys make it look so easy! But I know betterDisappointed smile. My tire looked like a go-cart tire next to some of the tires they were working on.

100_2079

Within a half hour they found, and replaced the culprit of the small leak. The valve stem needed to be replaced. All fixed and the $18.48 bill paid, I was off heading back home to re-mount the tire back on the Motorhome.

A little history here on this particular tire and rim. I’ve always had a shimmy from the front tires. They had been previously balanced by another tire dealer when I bought the tires several years ago. The balancing job was inferior as the weights were too large and were thrown from the wheels. When we arrived in Florida this past March, I removed both front tires, loaded them in my car, and had a “specialty tire shop” balance them. They pointed out to me that this wheel had a slight flaw to it and that I probably would still feel a slight shimmy. They suggested I re-install it to the inner wheel of the dually. This is exactly what I was going to do when I’m home in Michigan, not at the RV park in Florida. The tires were replaced on the front of the Motorhome in Florida. When we left Florida we drove about 100 miles when my Tire Traker tire monitoring system detected this tire going flat. You can read about that on a previous post.

So this brings us to today. The troubled wheel awaits for it’s new home as the inner tire of the dually. Let the tire changing begin! Laughing out loud

100_2080

What you see above is the “repaired” tire laying flat. Next to the jack is the rear tag axle tire, (which is still mounted). The middle tire above is the “outer dually tire” and the tire standing to the far left is the “inner dually tire” that will be balanced and re-mounted on the front.

So when the complete tire rotation job is complete, I will have handled 4 tires and made 2 trips to Leslie Tire Co.

Hopefully all this work is not in vain and the slight shimmy in the front will be eliminated. Time will tell.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the vent fan repair. The question of the day - Is the new fan quieter than that old fan? I am considering replacing my two vent fans with this Fan-Tastiv-Vent fan.
    I would appreciate a shout about that.
    Thanks
    jerry at waggintailsrv dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replaced the original FanTastic Fan with the same type. The new one has the added feature of "reverse air flow". Don't know if I'll ever use this or not.
      The new one is a bit quieter than the old one, but I figure that's because "it's new".
      Now...the fan I have in the bathroom is different. It has a small white fan blade about 4-5 inches in dia. This fan is very noisey! When this one needs replacement I'll probably go for the Fantastic Fan I just bought.

      Delete