Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What’s with those “Anonymous” comments?

I’ve been noticing lately, not just on my Blog, but on other blogs that I follow that there is an increase of Anonymous comments made that don’t have anything to do with the articles.

I realize it’s some kind of scamming ploy, or someone just trying to get one to click on their links, that are always supplied, to put a virus on your computer.

A good example of the latest comment is on Rick & Paulette's RV Travel blog today.

One of the bloggers that I follow, Retired Rod actually had to turn off his Anonymous comments.

I really don’t want to go to that measure with my Blog. There are a few people I know that do leave a comment once in a while Anonymously, and I don’t want to block them. The only cure I can see is a daily inspection of the “Comment” sections and to manually delete the Anonymous comments that have no meaning about the blog post.

A hassle indeed, but one I feel has to be done. For nothing else but to help protect those reading my blog from a possible virus attack.

For you bloggers, have you also noticed this lately? And what if anything do you suggest to do about this.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless

7 comments:

  1. We alsohave been getting lots of Anonymous comments that have nothing to do with what I wrote. So far blogger has been good about catching them. Had 5 this morning, very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every night I get notified about new Anonymous comments. I log in the next day and delete them, I had Anonymous comments turned off for a little while when I was getting over 40 a day but then after a week they went to bother somebody else. Now I'm down to just a few. Thankfully the OWS kid seems to have moved on but I too like to leave it open for family and a few friends who don't have accounts.

    Have a good day!

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Fred, thanks for letting me know I had an anonymous spam comment on my blog this morning! It's gone now.

    The anonymous spammers are always trying new techniques to try and fool Blogger's spam filters. For the past few months they've been fairly successful but I think Blogger is actually beginning to catch up with them. Usually, the filters catch 99% of the spam for my blog before the comments are published.

    I check my comments on my Dashboard a few times a day now just to make sure and delete the anonymous spam. It doesn't really bother me all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted
    to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?

    Many thanks!

    My site: flashlights you shake

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would we do if we did not have something to irritate us once in a while? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the anonymous comments I had on my blog before I turned off anonymity were those people who get paid to post links to some outfit they are pimping for.

    I had reservations about that but my blog is said to require comment approval only the first time a person comments and then their comments are automatically published. For me that was an acceptable compromise.

    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life
    Peter Pazucha dot Com
    Life Unscripted on Wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those spam comments sure picked up quick. I had to remove anonymous comments several weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete