Wednesday, May 14, 2014

MRI Shows Why I've Been In Pain Since January

In the past 2 months I've had 2 MRI's taken by two different local hospitals. The first MRI, taken at McLaren Hospital last February didn't show a quality result, thus leading the Neurosurgeons to not see exactly why I was having all the Sciatica pain. They gave the Orthopedic Surgeon the ok to go forward with the total right hip replacement.

Long story short, I now have a new right hip, but because of the intense Sciatica pain, I cannot fully enjoy the outcome.

I then went to Dr. Olsen, a Neurosurgeon that was recommended to me from a friend. She had almost the same problem as I'm having, and her surgery was a complete success. Dr. Olsen looked at the MRI that was taken and said it was in very poor quality, and he could not see what was causing all the pain. He asked if I would be willing to go through another MRI from the hospital he works out of. Absolutely was my answer. Another MRI was taken last week, and yesterday I had my appointment with Dr. Olsen to go over the new MRI results.

It didn't take him long to pinpoint the problem. Even I, without a trained eye, could visually see the difference in quality. He pointed out the herniated disc of L5. Inside the spinal column you could actually see the disc pushing up against the nerve! "I believe that's what is causing all your pain" was his exact words. Words that I've been looking forward to hearing for a long long time.

He works out of Beaumont Hospitals, he asked me if I had a preference as to which Hospital I would like to have the surgery. In turn I asked which one he prefers, which he responded the Royal Oak Hospital. "Well that's the one I would like to go to then" was my reply.

As of today appointments have been made to get my "pre operative" tests done. Next Tuesday is my primary care Dr.'s appointment to complete those. Then it's a go for the surgery anytime after.

I'm praying that the surgery will be a success, and I finally will have the relief of the pain I've been having since this past January, some 18 weeks ago.

12 comments:

  1. You must be sooo relieved to finally know what's causing your pain. I am very glad for you and hope the operation will be soon and very successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vera. I am praying the surgery on the 23rd will be successful. I've had this pain every day since the beginning of the year. I am so ready to have this cured.

      Delete
  2. Contant pain is is the worst thing to experience. I hop you don;t have to wait too long for the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surgery is now scheduled for May 23rd.

      Delete
  3. It's nice when they finally figure out what's causing the problem...but also makes you wonder why it was not found the first time around. Anyway, glad the problem was located and wishing you all the best for the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was because the first MRI was so bad in quality. The Dr's just couldn't see where the problem was. Even I could see the difference in quality.

      Delete
  4. Do you read Billy Bo's Travels?? He has had severe pain for years and is now ready to try to deal with the cause.Maybe you could communicate with him and share info.Type of Doctors.etc.I have been praying for some kind of an answer for the both of you.Best wishes,Vada in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Vadam for your prayers. I have located Billy Bob's Blog and have put it on my blog under the blogs I follow. Perhaps if he mentions about his pain, I might be able to get in touch with him.

      Delete
  5. Finally, best wishes to get in and get it behind you so you can start a new pain free chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rod for your best wishes. I can hardly wait to feel "NO MORE PAIN" going down my leg and foot. Have had it since January! Please keep praying the surgery is a success. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Does that mean the hip replacement was unnecessary? Well, whatever, My prayer for you is that the you find relief and for the medical staff that will care for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Nan Talley for your prayers. Yes the hip was way past due for replacement. Confirmed by an Orthopedic surgeon here in Michigan and also in Florida. So the hip was replaced and I'm on the mend, slowly but on the mend.

      Delete