Last Thursday, the 20th., the kids were taken to the airport by Wilma, to fly home from their vacation with us. I had an early appointment with a Dr. to exam my hip and possibly get an injection.
The hip was confirmed to be in terrible shape, and the Dr. asked why I had waited so long to get a replacement, as I should have had one done years ago. My answer was that I really didn’t feel any pain until this past January. He ordered me to receive a Cortisone injection under CT scan. He warned me that because the hip was in such bad shape that the effects of the injection would only last 1-5 days. He also recommended me to have the surgery in Florida, with a date of about 3 weeks from then, or head back to Michigan right away. I took the second recommendation.
The ride in the ‘09 Chevy Malibu was pure torture for me, and Wilma also. She has never had to drive that distance in her life, and it was a huge feat for her that she did get us back home safe and sound. The first day I was able to drive about 3 hours before the pain became so intense that I no longer could drive. She took over the driving, and on the 3rd day she said she was going to get me home today. We were still in Tennessee! A very long 8 hours later, we pulled into our driveway here in Michigan. We both never want to have that experience again.
I made a phone call to my surgeon’s office after arrival home, but missed the closing time by 15 minutes. That meant that I wouldn’t get a chance to talk to them until today, which I did.
I have to see a Cardiologist for a “pre surgery exam” to make sure my heart will stand up to the surgery. The appointment is set for this Monday, but I don’t believe the exam is given that day. He will be talking to me getting all my health history and then schedule the exam. I am scheduled to see my Surgeon on Wednesday to go over the hip replacement procedure. He already has me scheduled for surgery, if I pass the cardiologist tests, March 25th. However he said that if there is a cancellation in the scheduled surgeries, I would be moved up sooner. I don’t wish anything bad on anyone, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that someone will cancel and I won’t have to wait until the 25th.
Laying here in bed, taking pain pills every 4 hours just to take the edge off the pain, is not my idea of fun. But I’ve been in constant pain since the first week in January, so I guess I can stick it out a few more weeks.
So this will be my last post on the blog until I get through this surgery. I wish you all well, and ask for your prayers.