Sunday, April 30, 2017

Bad And Good News

We have been home from Florida now for a total of  3½ weeks and have they ever been hectic.

For some good news.
We celebrated Grand daughter Rebecca's 17th. Birthday! 
Rebecca wanting to hear us sing to her.
What a great, happy time we all had celebrating her Birthday. It's always going to be fun with laughter around the house when the family arrives. That's one big thing we miss when in Florida for the winter. 

Tuesday we were notified that my best friend since 5th. grade Gary, had lost his mother. Arrangements were visitation Wed. evening and the funeral Thurs. morning at 10am. Very sad time for us even though everyone was expecting this for the past several weeks.

Nothing scheduled for Friday! We woke and were enjoying our morning coffee when Wilma asked if I could take her pulse as she held out her arm. She said she wasn't feeling good and that she felt her heart skipping. I checked and became concerned when I could feel her beat skip then beat then miss at least 2 beats. Very erratic so we got ready to head for the hospital which is just down the road from the house. 
Into the emergency room and the first check showed a heart beat into the 158 range. Way too high!
An hour later another check while she lay on the bed it showed 138. Still too high. Off she went to have a chest ex-ray, then the lab rep. took 6 viles of blood.  We told the nurse that Wilma was diabetic and needed something to eat. We were told that no food or water until after the Dr. sees her, which didn't happen for another 2 hours. Still no food or water. The machine hooked up to her showed that the pulse was down to 63 for the past couple hours now and she said she was feeling ok and wanted to go home. The Dr. arrived and said the blood work showed no damage to the heart, ex-ray looked fine but he wanted her to stay for another few tests that would take into the evening. Still not addressing the lack of food and water, Wilma decided she would decline the request as she will be seeing her Dr. on Tuesday and he will direct her to the proper Dr.'s. The emergency Dr. was ok with her decision and said he would start to prepare the discharge papers. Another hour goes by, Wilma started to crash from not having anything to eat or drink. I track down the Dr. telling him she is crashing, which got every one's attention. Wilma was then given 4 apple juice cups to bring her sugar up. A blood test for sugar was given and showed her sugar was down to 38! Another hour goes by before the nurse is back for another blood sugar test. Now it's up to 68 and Wilma is feeling ready to leave. It took us another hour before we arrived home. So we are looking at a total of 7 hours without food or water during this episode. I guess it's safe to say our nurse, being as young as she was, didn't have much experience with diabetics. The Good News is that Wilma is feeling much better, just feels tired out from the experience.

We wake up Saturday morning and Wilma's CPAP machine stops working. We both just had an appointment with the CPAP Dr. a few days ago and she put in the order for a new machine. We were scheduled to pick it up Monday morning. A phone call made to Binson's Home Health Care, the company that sends us our supplies, and we are told to come in today to pick up the new machine. We were glad of that and Wilma now has a new machine to help her sleep. 

So here we are on Sunday, the last day of April. Good Riddance April. Hoping the month of May will be better.

Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment